Thursday 28 May 2020

I'm often asked why I didn't pursue a career in physics, given that's what I graduated in.

At high school physics was my passion. Why? Because I was easily top of my class.

Passion is often driven by the ego - people love being great at things.

At university, I began to chill, and most of the competition didn't - my passion for physics quickly died.

But even if I had remained passionate about physics I wouldn’t have pursued a career in it - the pay was too low.

My parents were economic migrants - they came to the UK for money. That materialistic mindset rubs off on the next generation.

However, there was an indigenous British friend of mine at school who was even more passionate than I was about physics. He did a PhD.

But after years in research, he switched to investment banking.

And so did another physics PhD I know. He later told me it was a waste of his life.

The realities of not having enough money hit them.

Following your passion often doesn't work out as well as it sounds.

One day the reality of the world actually revolving around money might hit you, and by then it could be too late.

Money is power, a private education for your kids, the best healthcare, a big house, and perceived success.

Like in most things in life, you have to find your own right balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment