Saturday 31 July 2010

To those who have doubts over the guilt of Megrahi, I can say only that I know nothing more about that than is public knowledge, so I do not make up stories about it.

I agree that American senators would want to know the truth about the Lockerie bomber. That, however, does not give them any right to demand that our Prime Minister, who is responsible only to us, should dance to their tune. I will at some time see if their president will come to be grilled about the support given by American politicans to the IRA. I suspect the answer will be the same as I got from President Bush when I wrote to warn him that being photographed shaking hands with McGuinness was not compatible with a “war on terror”. I can assure you President Reagan did ensure that America helped us in the Falklands War. I do not think the State Department was happy about that, but then I do not think the Foreign Office was happy about the rescue of the Falklanders either.
Norman Tebbit

No comments:

Post a Comment