Thursday 28 June 2012

"There are environments in which it is deeply unfashionable to voice a opinion which has traces of conservatism - rock music, for instance... ....For your average Joe Bloggs, I would add that Twitter is one of those environments." I think that DM has nailed it with this statement. To be perfectly honest I hide behind a daft name principally because of the possible effect (sorry impact) on employment. However there is also the feeling of social stigma that can come from being openly conservative. I believe this is why Peter Hitchens is correct in not attempting to soften his approach. The smug self satisfied Left and meek apologists for the Right are both part of this problem, I also know that actions like mine are part of the cause. But experience tells me I'm not alone. I find politics on an evening out is a taboo but in certain environments assume that "left" is the default position. The odd thing is that once someone dare be an icebreaker and opine anything conservative, it's satisfying to watch the general agreement. But in an internet environment with your own name behind it, I'd be apprehensive to stray from banality. I reluctantly use facebook and twitter for commercial purposes, though as little as possible. I dearly hope social media is a passing fad that will pass by unreplaced. Similar to ebay that has changed from being an online car boot sale to just an other comercial market place.

No comments:

Post a Comment